Monday, September 23, 2019

It's All Fun and Games, Again....

If you didn't know, horses are very hierarchical creatures. My Angus is herd leader, end of story, no challenges here, he leads them to grazing areas and leads them back every night.  They all follow.

Which leaves four wannabe leaders to bicker amongst themselves:  Blue, Chief, Jack and Titan, all perceive themselves as Angus's second in command.  In displays of power, they sometimes pick on the two horses at the bottom of the totem pole:  Oreo and Cody.  

Guess who my two sweathearts are: Oreo and Cody.  These deep bite marks were the end of the line for me.

That's it, Cody  and Oreo need their own sanctuary away from the mob of four.

If you build it they will come.

Roscoe stops by to assess the situation.

Posts set in concrete and fence completed by dusk.

The horses get shuffled around.  The Super Seniors (Roscoe and Henry) move into the middle pasture, Oreo and Cody, and Angus' herd bookending them in opposing pastures. Peace should reign eternal.

Or not. Sunday morning brings the result of feral dogs chasing the horses before dawn.  Three horses injured.  Titan's requiring an emergency visit from Dr. Brown.  Dr. Carattini was already on scene.

I ply my craft at bandaging up Cody.

Chief's cut isn't as bad. The focus is on Titan.

6" long laceration, sewn up with three layers of sutures.

The expert seamstress at work.

Nice hem job!!!

My personal touch:  a protective cover for the wound.  
I spread the word in the neighborhood and get a report back that it was a pack of four dogs, now a pack of three thanks to the alerted farmer down the road.  I go out looking for them too, just in case I can make it a pack of zero.  No luck, but the hike helps me vent my rage.  
Meanwhile, I count my blessings.  A volunteer comes in to fix all the broken fences. And then it dawns on me that things may have been much worse if the horses hadn't been switched pastures last week.

32 year old Henry with his heart murmur and half blind 22 year old Roscoe should've been in the front pasture... where Cody was chased.  It wouldn't have been pretty.  Can't put into words how much I love these two little old men, but I'm grateful they were spared.  
💜