Saturday, January 18, 2020

Limits

In my sphere, limits are self-imposed.

I don't adhere to "you can't do it anymore", I believe that I'll find another way to do it.  
End of story. I'm still tinkering with the new recumbent bike to weld brackets on for the dogs to pull me.  

Dax prefers to ride on me, bobsled style.

The dorky head rest will be removed.

Flynn's Stephen Hawking impression.

Digging can be challenging.  Planted 5 trees by virtue of shoveling one legged.

And then my helpers did what they do best: mayhem.

Spreading hay is totally doable.

The horses are now fairly bomb proof.  It's been a year of seeing electric wheelchairs, crutches and scooters zip in and out of their stalls.  You ride a bicycle by a random horse in a pasture and see how they come unglued, then you'd appreciate how sane these horses are.

The trick:  find a way around obstacles, both literally and figuratively, or roll over them.
Not our usual way to collect sticks and pine cones before mowing, but it works.

Pruning with a pole saw, no problemo.

Teamwork:  I filled the trailer with limbs one day and Flynn emptied it the next.  Some tasks would take me a ridiculous amount of time to perform, so I bow out ungracefully.
It's been a long season battling varmint under one of the houses, since I've not been able to work in the crawlspace in the past month, they've gotten the upper hand.

After two days of crawling around under there fixing insulation and cleaning the vapor barrier, I call for backup when a bucket of acorns drops on me from above.

Know when you're defeated.

But never give up the fight---- battle something else! We made some serious preparations for a weekend storm threatening to bring 70 mph winds and 10" rain



In typical Jamie fashion, I had all the horses locked up in stalls in the barn, the dogs were with me too.  The two that lack any common sense had their GPS collars on (in case they got sucked away from me), orange capes on for more visibility, I had all their life preservers handy (in case of flying debris, the attempt is to protect vital organs), important documents and my passport in my bug-out bag.  Plan is always to wait it out, saving the horses from potential lightning strikes, but being ready to cut them loose of the stalls if a tornado bears down, then hide myself and the dogs in a corner and wait for the ride to the Wizard of Oz. 

All that was missing was a Flynn.  11th hour return:

Much more romantic to die together anyway.

The storm brings 45 mph winds, much rain, bringing down a few trees and lots of limbs.  But, the next day, I'm back to commuting between jobs as usual.  

 Live boundlessly.