Sunday, May 12, 2013

CAMPING WITH STINKY, Days 1& 2

Tommy will faithfully watch over the garden while I'm gone.  Hopefully, the 25 inverted Perrier bottles will help keep the ground from drying out.




The garden is looking a little bare.  I harvested a bounty for the trip.  You can take the girl off the farm, but she's taking her produce with her.

The backseat will be Cole's domain.

"Let's rock and Roll, Ma"



The car is stuffed to the gills
 And we're off!

First stop:  Florence, AL.  I left Cole at a spa for two hours while I toured the only Frank Lloyd Wright house in Alabama.  The Rosenbaum house was built in 1940.  I want to live there. Smallish by some standards, the bedroom doors are only 20" wide, but everything is designed with efficiency in mind.



I wish I had all this book shelving in my LR



Sitting at Mr. Rosenbaum's desk...the tour guide was very cool!

Cool design concept:

I'm pointing to mitered glass corners.

 Just before dusk, I rolled into Land between the Lakes campground. I'd reserved a tent site all by itself at the back of the park.  By 9 PM, I was settling in for a monster salad when Cole returned from his potty break.  He was looking very smug. He'd rolled in something very dead, maggots were crawling on his collar.  My supper was delayed over 30 minutes as an impromptu bath was administered.  He is the Master of Disaster. 


His Highness is unpleased about being tethered to a stake in the ground.

Our first trail run:  7.5 miles total.  I hit my GS watch accidentally and split the run in two parts.


Land Between the Lakes, part one


Here's the Part Deux connected to the first
 Bliss= in the woods!



At play


Great view and the creek isn't bad either.

Day 2:  on the road to IL.

If I lose this binder I'm sunk.  All my directions for over 54 stops, my camping info and trail maps are in here.


The Book

At Giant City State Park, IL, we ran a few trails.


Trillium trail bluffs

trail leader
"Any squirrels up there?"

Being as I despise the interstate highways, I plotted much of my trip down secondary roads.

Look what I found in Lebanon, IL:  an antique car show.  Be still my beating heart.




Downtown was closed for the show
 So, I arrived a wee bit late to Argyle State Park, IL.  9 ish. 


Cole eating. I keep a beacon light on him at night for obvious reasons...


No internet, but at least I had power to charge things up.

Thus far, 823 miles travelled, roughly $65 in gas, $6 TN camping, free in IL, $8 Rosenbaum House, $0 on food.  Heck, this is cheaper than staying at home!