Friday, May 17, 2013

Day 7: Apostle Islands, WI

I've been longing to see more round barns, but instead I spot this apartment complex.

Wisconsin city apts
Because tourism season isn't in full swing yet, only the Madeleine Islands ferry is operating.  In order to see other islands in the Apostle Islands chain, I'd have to wait until June.  No thanks,  I enjoy having the sites all to myself!


on Lake Superior
 Got a great view from the top deck.  Provided entertainment for the crew with Cole's antics when he clawed and balked on the stairs coming down. 

Beautiful colored rocks on the beach

My plan was to run from the docks to the Big Bay State Park via trails.  My maps had neglected to show that part of the trails are only for Winter use, as they cross marshlands.  I don't mind wet feet, but when I lost sight of Cole because he'd been submerged beneath a mat of reed, I aborted mission.  I tried to run along the road, but we were greeted by one too many unfriendly dogs. 


Sunk!

Pity we couldn't cross this area, it's beautiful.

Madeleine Island 8.3 mile run
 Proof that Rednecks are not only a Southern phenomena:

a house, really


at least he's cognisant of the fact that his neighbors love what he's done to their property values
 Finally step foot (tire) in Minnesota late afternoon.  Duluth is a busy harbor city.  I made a bee line for the canal area to see the Aerial Lift Bridge.  Built in 1905, it's only one of two such vertical lifting bridges constructed in the US. 

Saw it in action when it partially rose for a small fishing vessel, what a treat! (This is it's down position).

An oil painting that I bought years ago depicting the bridge.
 Eacobacci was a Duluth artist who painted this in 1924.  I believe that I found the spot where he stood to paint this.  There's a sand spit (not derogatory,that's the geological term)  that juts out for a few miles and there's a park called Park Point at the end.  Gave me goosebumps, 20 mph frigid winds off the lake helped too. 
I walked and walked all around the shoreline boardwalk that goes on for many miles. Cole needed to be kept on a short leash.  The seagulls taunted him.  Lake Superior water too cold for me to jump in after the Wonder Dog.  He doesn't learn from his mistakes.  A few years ago, he leaped off the sea wall onto the rocky shores of the St. Lawrence.  The ducks were to blame for that incident.

watching the bridge rise

panoramic view of harbor

I'd like to see the oxen tear these chains up!


retired ore freighter now a museum


I also wanted to walk around Enger Park on the hill above the city.

the city is built on this steep hillside, I can't imagine the chaos of Winter driving here


Enger Tower

Cole wasn't happy about yet another observation tower to climb.

view from the tower
I walked around until dusk, which is 8:40 here!  The parks trails connect to the Superior Trail....ah, I wish I had more time to spend in this city.  I love it!  Which is saying a lot because I usually avoid concrete jungles like the plague. 
The Japanese garden still had its Winter jammies on, but still beautiful:


burlap on evergreens made cool sculptures
 Sadly left the park and drove on Skyline Drive above Duluth.  Check out the occasional boulders that mark the edge of the escarpment.  Talk about thinning the herd:  only good drivers can live in this city.