Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Day 4, Shangri La

Before heading off to Wisconsin, I had one more site to see in Iowa.  Seed Savers is a group dedicated to preserving heirloom plants and heritage animals.  I've ordered seeds from them for years and now I was going to see their +800 acre operation.  The art exhibits along the trails intimidated the great explorer:  Cole.



Walking through 100 year old pine bluffs

White Park cattle almost became extinct during WWII.  Their origins are still a mystery.  Are they indigenous to the British Isles or did Hadrian bring them?  Their genetics are not closely linked to other domestic cattle.  Seed Savers and a handful of others have brought their numbers up from the low of 800 a couple decades ago.  With my Ag background, seeing them in person compares to how someone else might feel at the sighting of a woolly mammoth.


White Park cattle


Seed Savers' barn

Too much time watching cattle, bridge closures and detours, I was in peril of missing my tour of Frank Lloyd Wright's home, Taliesin, in Spring Green, Wisconsin.  I praise Mid-Western drivers, even on county roads, they boogie at 70 mph, or more!  I pushed my little Korean made trinket of a car at +80 mph, abandoned Cole at a vet's and made my tour bus with 30 seconds to spare.

Taliesin is sensory overload.


File photo of Taliesin
 I'm nutty about any architectural style that blends with the environment.  I was in Heaven!

With +25,000 sq ft, couldn't they spare a wing for me?"

I spent the night at Devil's Lake State Park, WI.  Geologically significant because, unlike the rest of WI, this area was not covered by glaciers.  Two glaciers lobes halted on either side of the lake, leaving behind mounds of debris called terminal moraines.  Devil's Lake is unique because it is endorheic, having no natural drainage (big puddle).

Cole and I ran 6.5 miles around the bluffs and kettle moraines (little puddles).

Cole by a kettle moraine

Teepee camping available!


Devil's Lake run

My tent was one of five in a secluded 300 site campground area.  Perfect.


View from my tent