Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Day 5: Lake Michigan

A few miles outside of Spring Green, WI, I was treated to the discovery of my fourth round barn.

Another gem.

Our first stop on Lake Michigan was at Point Beach State Forest.  We ran along the beach,

Almost 5 miles

saw the Rawley Point Lighthouse,


Cole at Mach 1
 filled my shoes with sand,

Mach 2

finishing our run inland. 



I made my first stop to buy food at a health food joint in Manitowoc.  Great timing, I was out of salad and fruit.  I splurged on WI cheese and some charcuterie.  The only source of protein I packed was a 1 liter tub of my pecan butter.  And I've been powering through it!

I arrived at Peninsula State Park with plenty of time to explore trails


A joy to see these beauties again

Took some time to persuade Cole to climb the observation tower.

250' over Lake Michigan

View
Took more coaxing to get him down!


Eagle Nest Tower

The trails go through hardwood forests and 100 yr old cedar groves.


I stopped at Nicolet Bay to take in the view.



The GPS watch's battery pooped out before we did.




Approx 7 miles

Once again, the tent grounds were secluded and empty.  As I was standing in my flip flops in the shower facility, the power to the entire park went out.  I overcame, lathered and rinsed by cell phone light.

For the second night in a row, the winds were fierce.  I was expecting to awaken in Oz.

Happy trails to you, Cole and Jamie