Monday, September 29, 2014

Michigan hospitality

Monday morning I started back out on I-75. Alas, the car had another attack of shunpiking (the act of avoiding major highways). I miraculously found myself at Van Buren State Park.  I was wearing my running clothes and Ohio was missing  in our tally of states where we've been trail running.  Coincidence, I think not. 
Packing lists for me, Cole and canoe trip (6 pages total). 
Considering I'm a list maker, the Ohio run had been planned for months. 
A little jewel of a park. The Kid and I ran five miles through hardwood forests and along corn fields. We suffered our first casualties of the trip here. I caught my toe on a root and performed a blue ribbon face plant. On Cole's side, his arthritic toe acted up after the run and swelled right up. Getting old ain't for sissies!
The troop marched on to Michigan to meet a fellow blogger for the first time. As much as I rail about how evil computers are, it is pretty cool to be able to create a friendship with someone 1000 miles away.
The author of the blog Change is Hard is one fine cook! I only stayed overnight, but ate enough to sustain myself for a few days.
Dawn and her husband are fascinating people, one evening isn't enough time for all the conversations. 
And then there's the superstar, Katie, the couple's sheltie.  A dog who so totally understands the demanding lifestyle of an adored pet.
Katie and Cole, being blue bloods and all, feigned indifference towards each other. Cole even retired early for the night and wandered back into the Master bedroom and tucked himself into their bed. His manners are impeccable! Not.
I consider myself to be extremist fortunate to have truly great friends.