Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.  Or: what's shaking in Russell county in the middle of the night.
An epic battle, that's what.
In one corner, weighing in at an undisclosed tonnage, is the Canadian gardener.
In the other corner (and in every place in between) are the crabgrasses and sedges.

Malevolent weeds were winning.  I cramped their style.
My #1 fan posing beside part of the 20' long windrow of weeds pulled from the garden.  Perhaps hand weeding a full acre isn't as feasible as initially assumed.  Too bad I'm too stubborn to quit.
There are small victories to be claimed here and there.
One of my new apple trees has put forth a valiant effort:
Ok, so it's crab apple size, but it's going to be relished as my first organic apple from the farm.
One of the peach saplings is out performing all others.  8 baby peaches:
I finished concreting in all the 4x4's for the 60' of muscadine trellis and 80' of blackberry trellis.  Now grow, dang it.
The lotus plants, in spite of being dumped out on their heads and handled very roughly, have made a full recovery.
Guess who has declared the lotus ponds as their home?  Frogs!  Be still my beating heart-- tadpoles everywhere!
Last night, we (me 'n' Cole) managed to dig up all my potatoes before the rain set in.
Not a bumper crop, but enough to see us through the year.  As you may know I have this fixation about making sure I never run out of food.
Or as Scarlet O'Hara from Gone With the Wind put it: