Saturday, March 31, 2018

Team Cookery

For a while there, we weren't sure if we were having company at the farm over Easter.  Recipes waiting in the wings, eager to be created.
We get the green flag and head for the kitchens on Friday.
My associate likes to play with fire so he was put in charge of the smoker.

The smoker is one I built in 2013 out of a 1940's fridge and a 55 gal drum.

It even has a handy grocery cart basket to hold firewood.

On the menu: whiskey glazed smoked chicken.

I'm getting better at trussing up chickens, earlier models looks like S & M experiments.

Master Glazer at work.

And the finished bird.

I even threw some pig's ears in the smoker for the dogs.
Garrett swallowed his.  Pete laid in bed canoodling with his. Dax flaunted it through the yard, not allowing me to get too close to his prize.

Meanwhile, there's a flurry of activity going on in the kitchen because I'd chosen a Cook's Illustrated recipe for Creamy Lemon Squares to attempt.  Cook's Illustrated recipes have never failed me, but they are usually long and arduous.  

Lemon Squares no different.

Very fun to try.

Letting the pan cool.
In the interim, there was a lasagna from scratch in the making.

From the kitchens of Flynn and Jamie, Happy Easter!

By the way, Dax and I did get our run Friday after all.  Just the two of us at dusk.  Didn't seem wise to run Garrett with a whole pig ear in his stomach and Peter couldn't be bothered as he was still making love to his.
Life is good.