Thursday, July 22, 2021

Started Off Strong

 To make up for Wednesday, on Thursday, I declared I was going to have some fun.


Left Luke and Vannah to fed the horses and I stayed out late bush hogging.

Trails are soupy mud, slid all the way down the hill like on a slalom slope

Glorious detente, my kind of day.

Pippin held the fort in my absence. 


 

My crew and I get home, put supper on and then the rains begin.


I hadn't been home 20 minutes when the approaching lightning sent me back to the barn to bring the horses in.



Meanwhile, Vannah had been in the bottoms beaver hunting with the farm truck.  She got stuck, but had the sense to stop trying to get un-stuck because the swamp was about to claim them.  We shall address that with the tractor in the morrow!


Too much lightning for any creature to be outside.


 Oddly, it didn't look so ominous on the radar. Instead of dissipating, the storm intensified.  The horses tried to be patient.

Most folks don't have a big sturdy barn for their horses and they make do with the best that they have.

I'd be a sorry excuse for a human being if I didn't bring them in from harm.  I had a friend lose her 2 horses one night to a lightning strike, to say it profoundly affected me is to put it mildly.  

A momentary break in the rain allows me to drive around checking houses.  Murphy's Law would apply on a night like tonight....

The Farmhouse flooded.  Not like furniture floating around, but enough all along one side of the house to go through at least 25 towels.  

I crawl home shy of midnight and resume making supper for myself and the dogs.  

Not realizing the storms would be so intense, I had left the dogs at home... Peter is terrified of storms...He shat himself on my clean bed.  Diarrhea went through all the way to the (thank God) waterproof mattress pad. 

With 3 loads of laundry to go before I can go to bed, I guess I can catch up on some homework.  Always a silver lining.  Thanks , Peter.  

Poor little mite.