Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Snow Day in Alabama


Over the past days, I have been awed by the compassion and dedication shown by everyone involved in the search for Jordan.  From my sister's friends who braved the frigid Toronto weather to scour the streets looking for Jordan, to my friends who have been putting out feelers and making some great suggestions, to the perfect strangers in Canada whom I spoke to today...thank you all.

Today's snow day was perfectly timed.  I was able to devote myself to online work and making telephone calls.  Here's a sad/funny aside:  I spent over 5 minutes on hold to a crisis center hotline in Toronto.  C'mon, really? 
I don't think we left a stone unturned from Toronto to Montreal.  Then, my sister made a breakthrough.  Jordan is alive and in Toronto.  He'd used a social media site.  This is a huge relief.  We still need to find him, pronto, but I'm willing to celebrate even small victories.

The three siblings in 2001--- we will be a trio again.
 
As if Mother Nature agreed that a happy dance was in order, in late afternoon, the sleet finally turned to snow. 
 
 
The flakes were beginning to fly, so we all bundled up and headed out for Cole's half mile walk.
 
 
With the exception of Jinx, of course.  He remained in his PJ's, in bed all day.
 
 
By dusk, we measurable accumulation.  Hooray, time for another walk, just me and Cole!
 
 
My kid in his snow suit, booties and hat.  My head lantern was like a kaleidoscope making the snowflakes twinkle. One more mile around the pasture.
 
 
Time to break out the skis!
 
 
Decisions, decisions...I went with the Blue Extra wax.
 
 
Barely enough snow, but I covered over 6 miles on my usual running loop.  I do love to run, but I think I came out of the womb with skis on.
 
 

I finished skiing around 8 PM and was greeted by Teddy, who obviously doesn't understand my exuberance over snow.
 
 
Jinx doesn't get it either..."just open the door!".
 
 
Vestiges of an evening well spent.
 
 
 
It quit snowing while I was skiing, if it's all gone by morning, I will still be grateful that I got a chance to wear my favorite boots (ski boots) at least once this year.
 
 
Seeing as Lee County Emergency Management has closed the roads around the farm, it looks like I may get another chance to ski a wee bit more tomorrow.
 
Stay warm, stay safe, hug the person next to you, Jamie