Sunday, June 5, 2016

Beetlejuice

Saturday I unearthed the largest grub I've ever seen.  Then two, then three!!!
3 inches when unfurled.  So freakin' made my day.  I spent an hour researching my discovery last night.
Guess what I have.  C'mon...
Eastern Hercules Beetle.  I've found a few in the barn at night last Summer.  They are so beautiful.  Feels like you're getting pelted with a rock when they crash into you.  
Sooo, I've put up flags to keep the employees from disturbing the larvae, but the horses will soon trample them.  They can take three years to get to adult stage.  I'm currently researching on the best place to relocate them and risking the armadillos finding them-- or building a protective box over the nest, which is by the water trough, which is a problem.  Aaargh.  
Things one does for entertainment when lacking a television!
 No, I am not weird.  There's a guy in Georgia who is doing a population study on moths, encouraging us to send in our stats.  He gets up on a lawn chair every night to study the visitors to his porch light.  Doesn't he wish he had my Luna moths.
He may have plenty of Regal moths, but mine are prettier.
This one got sneaked into the house and alight on my face as I was sleeping.  How cool is that?  A good night kiss from a moth.