Friday, October 11, 2019

Invasion

Grassburs are not a plant you want anywhere on your property. They, in fact, should not be on the planet, they belong in some hell hole of a distant galaxy.

This noxious weed spreads via its prickly seed heads.  Prickly is too nice a word.  These thorns have barbs that prevent you from easily removing them from your clothes, skin, or Dax's tongue for that matter.
In our case, I'm sure they came in on the tires of the power company trucks because the scores of them can be found under the power lines. From there, deer carry it further.

I found out the hard way that these pierce tires.
Eradication is best undertook mechanically, according to agricultural extension services. Unless you Napalm an entire area, digging up the plant is the most effective and permanent solution.

Enter two day Project Nuke 'Em.
By dragging a towel behind my bucket, I could identify the patches of grassbur hiding innocently among similar grasses.

Two days of dehydration in the scorching sun will be worth it when I won't have to worry about the horses getting these pods of death caught in their digestive tracts.

From how they stuck in my shoes, I gleaned another idea...

How about making a sticker picker upper to get the pods that have already fallen to the ground?

One sod roller, a yoga mat and plenty of epoxy later:

Victory is within my grasp.  Die invasive specie, die already!

Never give up.