Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Kablooie

Today, Cole went for another recheck.


Two weeks ago, I had been told that his patella had gone lateral...and nothing else.  You just don't tell me my kid's kneecap has moved East and expect me to deal with it calmly!
I consulted Dr. P, I scoured through my Journals of Veterinary Medicine and found two studies analyzing the success rates of the surgery Cole has already had and the correction of the patellar luxation I thought would be the next step.


I was prepared to argue that a heavier dog, like Cole, is 60% more likely to have a reluxation of the patella after surgery. 
But, the surgeon isn't so sure anymore that it is his kneecap bothering him. 
"Dysplastic...bring him by the clinic next week for X-rays", that was all the enigmatic doctor said before walking back into his house. 
Hip dysplasia.  I wasn't expecting that. 

 Cole and I are tired of slow walks around the farm. When will we ever be able to run together again?  We only have 13 states left to trail run.  Our Spring trip up the NE Coast and to Canada has been postponed to August--- we may not be ready then either!  How discouraging.
Not that I'm ready either.  I know that I can still run 20 trail miles, but 100...I think not.  My race at the end of March will need to be scrapped. 
Lack of sleep makes things look bleaker too.  Last night, I worked on projects between 2 - 7 AM...because I couldn't sleep due to a sore neck!


My jiu jitsu partner and I were trying out some new throw techniques.  The photo above is from Google, but if you were to imagine the airborne guy as a me, you can then understand how I fell like a Sequoia instead of like a ninja.  We were taught that we could 'tap out' (literally tapping your partner to make them stop murdering you) if we needed to cry Uncle. Too late when you're flying like a wounded albatross.

A concerned client told me today that I should start acting my own age and slow down.  "Get a TV perhaps"...yeah, I suppose it would be nice to curl up on the couch and catch up on all the reruns I've been missing for 6 years. Or NOT. My hatred of television will not abate any time soon, but she's right, I could stand to reevaluate my goals.

Time for outside inspiration.
Meet Bernice Ende www.endeofthetrail.com .Over the past 10 years she's logged 20,000 solo miles on horseback criss crossing the US and Canada,  sleeping on the ground without a tent, dodging terrifying weather and braving Winters.  I can only aspire to be one third as tough and resourceful as Bernice one day. 


You will notice how her dog, Claire, has her own carpet lined throne on the pack horse.  Bernice is a class act. A retired ballet teacher with no cell phone, no real outside help.  True grit.

So, I won't be tapping out any time soon, Cole and I will simply move on to Plan J.  If that doesn't work, we still have K.