Tuesday, February 21, 2017

One To Go

Oregon bound, but first one more Idaho state park to sample.

It's a disease.  We're park addicts.  Cole finds partridge, it's made his day.
I've been in need of buckets, but have refused to set foot in any store, other than a grocery store.

Kicking and screaming, I go to Tractor Supply in Ontario, Oregon-- with back up!  I promise myself that's the last store I have to enter-- now my day is made!
Next stop: Anthony Lakes Ski Area...

...buried miles up a mountain, deep in a national forest.   Binky gets another shot at proving her winter driving skills. 

9 miles up and down on this stuff, made all of our day!

Does the boot repair hold? You betcha. What would I do without my duck tape?

Only one trail is open to dogs, a 1.3 km loop. We skijor it 8 times. Easy for me, the dogs have gotten synchronized enough to pull steadily.

Driving Miss Daisy. 
After every loop, they get to play off leash.

I live with three clowns.

" You gonna do ANY exercise today?"

Perhaps.
Before checking into our cottage, in the valley town of Union, we go for a stroll. 

Pete has nothing to worry about, were told the dirt road is a dead end.

They neglect to tell me the end is 5 miles away.
Curiosity bug bites me. What's over the next hill?

Another hill. We're up in altitude, in snow again, so we turn back before dusk.

And before Cole chases the mule deer into the next county. I never realize how far we've gotten until we turn around to go back. Oops.

Interesting style of barbed wire fencing I've never seen before. 

Creative anchor posts!

Modern version.

Three musketeers settle in nicely to our cottage after I've covered everything with my own linens.

Now I can go explore the backyard, which is also a barnyard.

Cattle, horses, sheep, one pig, chickens and a free ranging turkey named Thomas.

He greets every car. I expect to open my door in the morning to find he's walked up the ramp to say hi.

To celebrate bagging another state. I surprise the guys with steak for supper.

The one without much of an appetite is showing interest as I trim the fat and cut it into morsels. Bonus!

Little hot plate does the trick.
Over supper, I read up on the real estate in the area. If been wondering what rangeland costs.

More expensive than expected!  Irrigated land definitely worth a fortune.

In spite of the cold, I'm leaving the window cracked to hear two owls chatting.

Now I understand why the pioneers had their sights set on Oregon. I love it here.